lilypie

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Monday, January 31, 2011

Get the Party Started Already!


Okay- we're 41 weeks, the baby's head is engaged, I'm fully effaced, and 6 cm dilated. Oh, and sick of being PREGNANT! So let's get this party started, right?

Okay since I'm feeling like this let's address the at home possibilities for labor inducers, shall we?

1- Herbs-

Blue and Black Cohosh (not the same plant). Blue Cohosh helps the uterus to contract more substantially. Black Cohosh helps these contractions become regulated. Note: those mothers with blood problems should steer clear of Black Cohosh, because it can have blood thinning effects.

EPO (Evening Primrose Oil) which I have mentioned before, is used to dilate and efface the cervix. Taken internally or placed near the cervix before bed, either way it has wonderful results. However, it also has blood thinning effects in those mothers with blood issues.

RRL- I have a friend who swears that is your labor starts and you drink as much Red Raspberry Leaf tea as you can possibily stand it'll keep it going for you!

2-Walking- Yeah right. Okay, to be fair it CAN help the baby become better placed for birth and let gravity help with that. It may even help cause a few BRaxton Hixs contractions. But walking has not been documented, or even reported to begin labor.

3- Mowing the lawn. Granted with a snow storm coming in my direction, it's not something I get to try. But I do have a friend who swears it started one of her labors. I tried it with our 4th. Just made me sweaty and uncomfortable. But I'd try it again!

4- Sex, Sex, and more Sex. That is how it got there to begin with right? Semen has a high prostaglandins, which help efface and dilate the cervix. Orgasms encourage uterine contractions. And Nipple Stimulation release oxytocin to help all of this along! Unfortunately, it has never jump started any of my labors - but it's from lack of trying ;)

5-Spicy Foods? Well, it'll give you and excuse to dive into that Mexican dish you've been craving. And because they can irritate the bowels, it is possible it could help get your labor going. But it has never worked for me, or anyone I know.

6- Pineapple. Has certain somethings in it that can also help soften the cervix, but that's it. Eat up if you like it. I do!

7- Dancing - I saw on Youtube a woman's water break while dancing in the kitchen with her hubby. I've even tried jumping jax, and no water breakage for me. But try it if you're up for it.

8-Bumpy car ride?? Never heard of this actually working. And I get one anytime I go amywhere from our house.

9- Castor Oil, which I am possibilty getting desperate enough to try. YUCK for one. BUt it cause intestinal cramping and diahrea, which can get the labor contractions started - OR it can just leave you dehydrated and sick.

10- The last one I want to mention is Stripping the Membranes. This is where someone takes their fingers (two usually) and inserts them into your cervix, and gently seperates the bag of water from the uterine wall. This sometimes cause contractions and can get your labor started. This has in fact worked for me in the past. But, in my experience, the person doing it has to be pretty ruthless. It doesn't hurt everyone, so I hear, but it seriously hurt me. My cervix is so sensetive this late in pregnancy, that is REALLY hurts. But truthfully I get over it, and am grateful when it works.

There are some other otpions to be found online. But honestly I don't think they're even worth considering. Like I said I'm contemplating the castor oil at this point. Like I said in the beginning, my body is WAY ready, so maybe a little kick will help "Get This Party Started"!

No comments:

Post a Comment