lilypie

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Friday, July 16, 2010

Fruit - Yum!

Blueberries fresh from Jamesport. Freezing as I type this. Peaches waiting to be worked over in the morning, fresh from Georgia to Jamesport to me!

The peaches were the same price as last year too... Well, at least I got them. The Hothouse wanted $16.50 for a box. One of the country stores wanted $15.00 a box. Where I got them, they were $13.50. In the same boxes as in the other stores too.

If I work them over realy quick I may go back and get more - depends on how long it takes me to do the canning, and jam making out of the leftovers. I feel a big pull to get serious about food storage right now. Of course, my stomach's got to cooperate with this plan. I'll just pray in between vomitting?

If I don't work them over as quickly as hoped, we should get more peaches in a month or so as well. I risk a higher price, but then it might go down, so we'll see.

The blueberries? Well, 10 pounds of berries for about $24 is a bit steep... if you compared them to peaches. But they are NOT peaches. So if you compare that price to the ones even in WalMart it's a great deal. They will make great muffins, pancakes, snacks, and maybe a pie this winter. So worth it? Yes, I think so. So good for us preggies too.

A little nervous about the apple crop this year- which is funny because a few yrs ago, it never would have occured to me. Anyway, a friend's orchard was attacked by some kind of apple pox. Not only are we praying for her and her family to get something out of all of their efforts this year... but we're also praying that we'll find apples for our own family as well to store for winter.

Fall is a busy time. School starts again, and food storage just takes off like crazy for me. We butcher, can, freeze, and otherwise store up tons! I dunno how I'm gonna keep up with it all... but I'm sure I will.

Happy peach season to everyone! Nothing says childhood sweet memories like a georgia peach. I grew up in the deep south for the most part- I mean every word of that. Peaches so juicy that they dripped over my fingers, down my mouth and onto my shirt causing my mother endlesss frustration (which I'll admit I delighted in as a kid- what can I say- I was evil). Yum.

2 comments:

  1. You are so sweet! And thanks for the prayers! Don't worry for apples at least for saucing and canning. A great deal of the apples are maturing despite what appeared to be happening at first. There will be some for storing, just not much to choose from. Harvest starts in roughly two weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic!! Because I'll tell you - I hate getting them somewhere else. I'm never satisfied with the flavor of other peoples' apples. Even HyVee leaves something to be desired. 2 weeks? Wow! Earlier than last year! It'd be nice to finish canning them before our school starts... hmmm. I'll call ya!

    ReplyDelete